an acronym for Sanitation, Mother & Child Care, Immunization, Lifestyle modification, Education, Screening
Many problems can be completely prevented, but not many can be completely cured. Also, prevention is cheap and easy, but cure can be terribly expensive and
painful. This is true in essentially all aspects of life. When it comes to our health, prevention is much better than cure. Several diseases and injuries are preventable, and can be managed much
better if precautions are taken or they are identified earlier on. Keeping this in mind, we launched a
comprehensive, simple, easy to comprehend SMILES preventive medicine program in Burgula PHC on October 2, 2017. Focusing
on these preventive measures helps us to prevent the vast majority of diseases.
We have already impacted over 25,000 people through our SMILES Program awareness. To this end, we have created a SMILES poster that details the various aspects of
the SMILES program components. Some of the activities we have undertaken in this regard are as follows:
- Providing safe drinking water to 7000 people through two RO plants.
- Several Open-Defecation-Free villages through construction of 614 toilets and promoting their hygienic usage.
- Sneha program – Promoting menstrual hygiene by addressing all the three aspects of awareness, accessibility and affordability. Till Nov
2018, we have distributed about 28,000 free sanitary napkin packets (8 pads each).
- Building capacities of ASHAs, Anganwadi teachers and ANMs for promoting best nutritional practices of pregnancy, infant and child care.
Partnering with National Institute of Nutrition.
- Non-Communicable Diseases (NCD) prevention program through active lifestyle promotion and screening at door step in 8000 people.
- 1st NCD Clinic was started in the district in Jan 2018, and hired an ANM for the clinic.
- Renovated PHC by partnering with government.
- Renovation of sub-center at Burgula village.
- Monthly medical camps conducted through specialists.
- Encourage the villagers to clean up the villages by providing employees and equipment.
- PHC activities supported regularly.